Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Music, music, music, and starting a life over

It's not everyone who gets a chance like this. I nearly died the summer of 2015, spent a couple weeks in the hospital. I'd already started writing songs in 2014. The weeks I spent bed-bound after I came home in 2015 truly emphasized what matters more to me than anything else, and although taking a shower was very high on that list, nothing was more important to me than getting back to my keyboard.

I must sing. I must write. I must play. This is who I am at the absolute bedrock: I must sing.

Siren blood runs in my family. Both sides are loaded with professional and amateur musicians, and I had fully expected to be one of the pros only to find myself not even an amateur. I was completely blocked musically and could not sing or play at all.

It was so bad that I didn't even recognize that I was blocked. I had just put it out of my mind.

At the end of 2013, I made a demand of the Gods that they allow me to get my life back on track. January of 2014, I began singing again. It's grown organically from there. Now I'm in school, and if my carpal tunnels will cooperate, there will come a day when I switch my major back to where it has always belonged. There will come a day when I'll once again be a musician.

Let me come home again, oh you Gods. Welcome me back to Music, and let me come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment